Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January 8

When the kids arrived they used white boards to practice writing their numbers, letters, and even shapes.  I was impressed that Addy H. wrote all the way to 40!!

We kicked off a new writing project by drawing a self-portrait and sharing our goals for 2013.  It was so cool hearing what the kids' resolutions were!  A couple talked about cleaning their rooms or playrooms.  Some talked about being kind to their siblings. 

In math we are reviewing counting by 10s to 100.  We are also talking about number combinations that make 10.  This will help us become more fluid in our addition facts come fourth quarter.  The kids played a partner game that helped them discuss numbers that added up to 10.  They rolled a die and filled in that many squares on a ten frame.  They then discussed what they had, "I have 6, I need a 4 to make 10."
We reread Chugga, Chugga Choo-choo and discussed the clues the kids discovered that helped them determine the setting.  We saw a sun at the beginning of the book and a sleeping boy at the end.  The kids interpreted that the story started in the morning and ended at night.  We also looked at the picture clues to help us figure out that the story happened in a little boy's room as opposed to real mountains, valleys, and tunnels as the words suggested. 

P.S.  Don't you LOVE the pictures!  I do too!  Mostly because I used my fancy new camera that I purchased using the money PTO gave me from the basket auction!  Thank you so much for all of your hard work on that project!

No comments:

Post a Comment